Sleep Apnea is a condition where periods of sleep can be interrupted because the individual’s throat muscles intermittently relax, blocking their airway. This results in breathing to stop and start many times throughout sleep. In some cases, this can occur hundreds of times during the night; and often the patient is not aware this is happening.
How Do I Recognize If There Is A Problem?
With obstructive sleep apnea there are usually several symptoms that signal a problem:
- Loud snoring – A partner may be very cognizant of this symptom. They might also become more aware of sounds you may make like choking or gasping for air.
- Awakening with a headache or a dry mouth offer clues. Daytime sleepiness and an inability to stay focused throughout the day might point to insufficient or interrupted sleep.
- Personality changes such as increased moodiness or temper flares often signal an interruption to sleep patterns. Of course, these symptoms do not provide a positive diagnosis of sleep apnea, but are indicators that it may be time to seek professional care.
Oral Appliance Therapy Offers Effective Treatment for Sleep Apnea
Oral appliance therapy, in many cases, provides a solution.
The type of oral appliance needed to treat sleep apnea is designed to reposition the jaw to prevent the muscles in the back of your throat from relaxing.
The custom-made oral guard to treat your sleep apnea will be designed and fabricated specifically for you. Unlike generic models you can buy online or at your local store, an oral appliance provided through your dental provider will fit correctly making it much more likely you will wear it.
The advantages of a custom fitted oral appliance to resolve your sleep apnea include:
- Comfort – When fitted properly, you will adjust to wearing it quickly.
- Easy – Just place it in when going to bed; keeping it clean is simple.
- Portable – Easy to take and use even when not at home.
Left untreated, sleep apnea can lead to more serious health complications. A visit with our team at Dakota Prosthodontics and Implant Center may provide a solution that is much easier than you thought possible.